Launch of the Falcon 9 rocket with the ship Crew Dragon
The launch of the Falcon 9 rocket with the Dragon spacecraft and a civilian crew on board took place in the planned window on September 16 at 03:02 Kyiv time.
SpaceX launched a batch of upgraded Starlink satellites with laser communication
rocket launch video
Inspiration4 mission plan
As part of the Inspiration4 mission, the Crew Dragon spacecraft and its crew will spend three days in Earth’s orbit, after which it will enter the atmosphere and land off the coast of Florida in the Atlantic. The mission has already become the biggest breakthrough in space tourism in history.
The Inspiration4 mission is generally similar to the usual launches of SpaceX ships to the International Space Station, but this time there is no docking with the orbital station. Instead, the manned spacecraft will orbit the Earth 15 times a day and observe the planet’s surface from an altitude of 580 kilometers. According to SpaceX, Crew Dragons’ orbit will pass over the site of the ISS and the Hubble Space Telescope.
Saiyan Proctor in space in the observation dome of Crew Dragon / Photo by SpaceX
Jared Isaacman / Photo by SpaceX
What should the crew do in space
It is worth noting that during the flight, crew members will not be idle at all times. They intend to conduct several medical experiments and obtain important data for future manned assignments. The crew members on the Inspiration4 mission began training for spaceflight in March this year, after completing a full-fledged astronaut course.
Inspiration4 mission patch / Photo by SpaceX
Inspiration4 mission crew
The Inspiration4 mission was not without a billionaire crew member. The flight was financed by the 38-year-old Jared Isaacman, who is the founder and CEO of Shift4 Payments, a digital payment processing company. He paid for the three-day mission and became one of the crew members.
Together with Isaacman, three days in low orbit will be spent by:
- 29 years old Hailey Arsinoy, who survives bone cancer and currently works as a medical assistant at St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. Arsina, who will take over as chief physician for the crew, will also be the youngest American woman to have been in space.
- 42-year-old veteran of the US Air Force Chris Sembrosky;
- and 51 years old Sian ProctorAmerican scientist, geophysicist and licensed pilot.
Inspiration4 Team Chris Semborsky, Sian Proctor, Jared Isaacman, Hayley Arsinoy / SpaceX Photo
Do not miss the Ukrainian Sich-2-30 satellite to be launched on the SpaceX rocket – dates confirmed
Why the Inspiration4 flight is so important
This flight was another milestone in the development of space tourism, for which 2021 proved to be very productive. Earlier this year, crews led by owners of private space companies visited suborbital space. blue origin and Virgin Galactic. Billionaires Jeff Bezos and Richard Branson were among the first passengers on ships designed by their companies to transport tourists into space.
Some interesting facts about the Inspiration4 mission
- The Crew Dragon spacecraft for the Inspiration4 mission has been converted especially for a tourist flight. The ship was given a special dome through which you can observe the space.
- Netflix made a documentary series about the Inspiration4 mission, which showed how to prepare for the mission and unique movies. It can be seen on the streaming platform.
- One of the missions of the flight is to draw attention to St. Jude Children’s Cancer Hospital and research work on cancer treatment. Billionaire Jared Isaacman donated $ 100 million to the hospital.